Email Me: calamitywilde@gmail.com

one girl's quest to follow her heart... into her food

You can call me vegan, but definitions can get messy. I haven't eaten animal products in a year and a half, but I didn't throw away all my leather shoes when I turned vegan, because I also believe in no waste. I don't eat animal foods for ethical reasons, and I eat plant foods for health reasons. I don't believe that an animal-free diet is right for everyone, but I do believe that a conscious connection to our food is vital. I am a nutritional consultant, and I am in school to further my knowledge of holistic health. I love life and health and think the two are inseparable. This blog ponders what we put into and onto our bodies. We really are what we eat, and because the skin is so great at absorption, we are what we wear, too. Through this blog, I will explore cruelty-free, toxin-free, chemical-free, GMO-free, and big corporation-free methods of eating and caring for our bodies. Hippocrates had it right when he said, "Let thy food be thy medicine."

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Vitamin D Controversy Continues

The vitamin D argument is one that has baffled me for some time. I've heard medical experts claim that we absolutely do not need high doses of vitamin D supplements, and that supplementation can, in fact, cause more harm than good. I've also heard medical experts claim that 90+% of the population is vitamin D deficient, and that we should supplement thousands of IU's per day for months before we could even begin to achieve optimum levels. In light of the less than year old release by a scientific panel from the National Academies' Institute of Medicine, which suggested tripling the RDA for vitamin D, and even more studies appearing that prove the benefits of vitamin D supplementation, and more and more people finding out they are D deficient, I feel like we should focus more energy on this issue.

Of course, every body is different, and each individual has unique needs. But, in general, the majority of Americans DO have low vitamin D levels. Dosages between 200 and 600 IU daily have been recommended to adults (varies depending on age), but more and more people are recommending even higher doses. Dr. Weil suggests that no adverse affects are seen even with daily doses approaching 10,000 IU.

I take (and have taken for a while) 400 IU per day. But I am not always able to get adequate sunlight exposure during the day, and because I eat a plant-based diet, I have few food sources (mushrooms being the only vitamin D source). So I have decided to increase my daily levels. I will begin with 1000 IU daily, and if I feel no adverse affects, will increase it slowly over time to see how it affects my body. Although I haven't had my levels tested, I can safely assume that I'm right there with the majority of deficient Americans.

As a vegan, however, I have to question the source of my vitamin D supplements. The best source (of course) is sunlight. Since most of us are terrified of being in the sun without sunscreen, we rarely if ever allow the sun's healing rays to penetrate our skin directly. Sunscreen will block the absorption of vitamin D. More on that here. Dr. Weil suggests 10 minutes of unprotected exposure on just the hands and face will help in vitamin D uptake. I've seen a number of other recommendations suggesting that 40% of your body should be exposed for 20 to 30 minutes in order to benefit from vitamin D from sunlight. Luckily, in the summer, this is easy for me. But what about in winter? And what about people who live further north?

So this leads us to actual supplements. Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin at all, but a fat soluble hormone. Supplements come in two forms. D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol). D2 is plant derived, while D3 is animal derived. This difference becomes important to people making ethical choices about food and supplements. I've always taken D2, and consumed rice and soy milk that were fortified with D2, but I hadn't researched the difference until recently. D2 is derived from mushrooms that have been exposed to ultraviolet light. D3 is derived from sheep sebum (lanolin) or fish liver. But apparently there has been an influx of experts who claim that D3 is far superior to D2 in terms of how it functions in the body. It can be absorbed 500% faster, and binds more readily. An article here goes into further depth. Most naturopaths with a recognizable online presence suggest D3 over D2 (Dr. Weil, Mercola, Dr. Dowd). But, there are studies proving that D2 can effectively raise D levels.

So what to do? My personal ethics are simply for cruelty free eating and health. In this case, I believe there are probably companies out there who ethically produce D3 from sheep's wool. And especially if this process neither harms nor kills the animal, and even more so if these animals live good lives, then I would not be opposed to switching to D3. Sometimes optimal health means seriously considering your viewpoints, and weighing the results of each decision. For instance, I choose to eat raw honey from local, ethical beekeepers because of the health benefits local raw honey can offer. And I see that the bees are living a great life.

The search for this ethical D3 will be more complex, however, than just talking to some beekeepers at my local farmers market. It will probably involve phone calls and letters and testimonials. We will see.

In the mean time, try boosting that vitamin D intake. You might just enjoy some sunshine while you're at it!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful content useful sharing this post. This post interesting and informative for mountain biking and different kind of road biking .https://foldingreviews.com/best-folding-bike/

    ReplyDelete