Email Me: calamitywilde@gmail.com

one girl's quest to follow her heart... into her food

You can call me vegan, but definitions can get messy. I haven't eaten animal products in a year and a half, but I didn't throw away all my leather shoes when I turned vegan, because I also believe in no waste. I don't eat animal foods for ethical reasons, and I eat plant foods for health reasons. I don't believe that an animal-free diet is right for everyone, but I do believe that a conscious connection to our food is vital. I am a nutritional consultant, and I am in school to further my knowledge of holistic health. I love life and health and think the two are inseparable. This blog ponders what we put into and onto our bodies. We really are what we eat, and because the skin is so great at absorption, we are what we wear, too. Through this blog, I will explore cruelty-free, toxin-free, chemical-free, GMO-free, and big corporation-free methods of eating and caring for our bodies. Hippocrates had it right when he said, "Let thy food be thy medicine."

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lower Your Toxic Exposure

"According to a study recently published in Environmental Health Perspectives, forgoing packaged foods- such as canned foods and drinks, and packaged in plastic- could dramatically lower levels of BPA and DEHP, which disrupt hormonal balance and have been linked to birth defects, autism, early puberty, and other reproductive issues. The study authors found that when families switched to fresh foods and eliminated foods in cans and plastic containers for just three days, average levels of BPA in urine fell by more than 60% and average levels of DEHP metabolites fell by more than 50%. Participants whose exposure was highest in the toxins before the diet change had more than a 70% reduction of BPA and more than a 90% reduction of DEHP. Other ways to reduce exposure to BPA and DEHP include:

-Store food in glass or stainless steel containers.
-Never microwave food in plastic containers.
-When fresh fruits and vegetables are not available, choose frozen rather than canned."

-Source: WellBella Sept 2011 issue

No comments:

Post a Comment